Modern Ruler and traditional ruler: Mercury
Anatomy rulership: Digestive system, intestines, bowels, the part of the body that processes and digests what is ingested.
Virgo is represented by an M-shape crossed at the end, symbolising the Virgin holding an ear of wheat, but also containment.
Virgo, a very large yet not prominent constellation, is best recognized by Spica, its brightest star, which forms a triangle with both Arcturus and Regulus. Spica is a binary star system found close to the ecliptic, 2300 times more luminous than our Sun. Spica is also the ear of wheat that the Virgin is holding. This area of the sky harbours 13,000 galaxies, one of which is the Sombrero galaxy. In both the northern and southern hemispheres, Virgo is best seen at midnight in the midheaven when the Sun is in Pisces at the end of February and beginning of March.
- Virgo makes use of, and wants to improve, that which has been created by Leo.
- Virgo, the sixth zodiac sign, is associated with the harvest – the reward of having taken time to tend to growth through patience and service.
- Virgo is industrious and service-oriented, wishing to purify and heal the self in order to serve others.
- Virgo represents efficiency, order and cleanliness so that one maintains containment and focus.
- Virgo symbolises perfection and doing things to the best of one’s abilities.
- Virgo picks apart, analyses and critiques in order to comprehend how all parts are connected, and to discern what is useful from what is not.
- Virgo is concerned with the sacredness of time, daily routine, and taking regular care of fitness and diet for physical and mental wellbeing.
- Virgo is the final sign within the personal sector of the zodiac and therefore prepares the personal, ‘virginal’ state of self for the experience of relationship.
- Virgo aims to centre and ground the self so that one’s sense of self is not lost when relating beyond the self.
- Virgo’s opposite sign, Pisces, looks at the whole picture whereas Virgo looks at everything frame by frame.
Practical, efficient, critical, service oriented, health conscious, methodical, discerning, patient, fussy, discriminating, systematic, meditative, focussed, critical, hard on self and others, meticulous, precise, competent, dedicated, unassuming, humble, contained.